Monday, July 19, 2010

Painted Vinyl Siding + New Ceiling Fan!

When we moved into the house, I noticed that the siding vinyl was pretty nasty in some parts. I thought it was just dirty, so I washed it, brushing like crazy, but it didn't make much difference. I then thought that maybe it was stained, but then, looking closely, I noticed that the white paint in the vinyl had actually faded. The sprinkler had been hitting the wall for years, and caused the vinyl to discolor.





I then asked around to see if vinyl siding could be painted, and it turns out that you can. You just need to use primer and then paint a lighter shade or color than was there. Since our siding was white, we just kept it like that. It turned out so good, it looks like new!





We also decided to change our bedroom light to a ceiling fan. We chose a small one (since our bedroom is rather small), and it turned out awesome!

The only problem: this unit uses a remote control, it doesn't have those little chains you turn the light and fan on and off with. That was a pretty nice surprise, the real problem was that I was supposed to fit in the remote control unit that goes on the fan into the light box that goes attached to the ceiling. Those light boxes are about four inched wide. The remote control was like 6 inches wide. I ended up having to climb onto the attic and extending the remote control unit cables so I could actually attach them to the fan. It was a pain, but it works just great. The fan looks very nice, but if I'd known what a pain it would be to install, I would have definitely picked up a different one!



3 comments:

M&M said...

I'm fixing the ceiling around the new fan soon...

Danielle Bailey said...

Ah, didn’t you consider repainting the vinyl sidings with a different color, or did you prefer white? It’s a good decision that you stuck with it because it’s environment-friendly and gives off a refreshing feel. But playing with colors would also be fun and exciting, since your new home will have a new look as well. ;) Anyway, I applaud you for the repainting and your work on the ceiling fan.

Staci Severns said...

You vinyl sidings looked so new after repainting it! Anyway, can I just say that your ceiling fan is elegant? I love its mounting device and housing. It certainly looks durable too! :)